Monday, September 14, 2009

Insh'Allah Society

Since day one, the UAE has been cultivating my capacity for patience. Coming here, I wanted to give off the impression that I was chill, ready to go with the flow, and ease myself into this new culture. That didn't work out quite as planned... my frustration bubbled up quite quickly. Partially, the problem was that I wouldn’t own up to my “American-ness.” I couldn’t and didn’t want the typically seen uptight, controlling, “American” side seep through my exterior. I refused to believe that I was that person. But, when money was running low and a week had passed with no news on our paycheck, our passports had disappeared with no communication on how long visas would take to process, buses that my company had promised never showed up, “work days” ended without knowing what was in store for us the following morning, internet was cruddy/slow/expensive/unreliable, it was hard to mask my irritation. Everywhere I went, the response was "Insh'Allah"... translated to "God-willing." A typical answer would be, “You will have your passports in one week, Insh’Allah.” (It has been three weeks and no word as of yet.)

I resented the term. It seemed to translate to: “Yeah, we’ll give the situation a little nudge, but if the man upstairs doesn’t approve, oh well, not our problem.” It was easy to think that everyone was just lazy and didn’t want to take responsibility for anything. Or better yet, just said answers that they knew wanted to be heard just to get us off their back. I simply wanted to facts and figures, the plain truth and for these people to step out of their “Insh’Allah” umbrella and take some ownership.

But, three weeks in, I am learning the true essence and meaning behind “Insh’Allah.” It’s a combined term used when you have given a sufficient amount of effort, or when it is something you truly desire to happen, but when you are humbling yourself before God and acknowledging that through it all, He is still the man in charge. However, it also is given as a subtle warning to its receiver as “be patient, things will work out, just give us some time.” …and when I do take a step back and realize that there are certain circumstances that just cannot be controlled, and no one really is at “fault,” I find ease and comfort in knowing that life’s problems and solutions are indeed, “Insh’Allah.”

Given this new mindset, I am at comfortable knowing that

…I will get my residency visa before my tourist visa runs out in 4 days, Insh’Allah.
…my classroom and grade level will be figured out prior to the start of school, Insh’Allah.
…when my pay gets deposited into a bank account that has my name spelled wrong (Hanah), I will get access to my money, Insh’Allah.
…my 70’s décor couch and curtains will get switched out, Insh’Allah.

And most importantly, everything will work out at home, Insh’Allah.

1 comment:

  1. I've had some experience with this myself, when going on diving trips and such.
    Glad to hear you've adjusted to it :D

    ReplyDelete