Saturday, September 5, 2009

Where am I?!

I pride myself in being good with directions... and I usually love unfolding maps and navigating my way through cities... but I just can't figure out Abu Dhabi! Streets have several names, and the locals throw out names that don't exist anywhere on paper. It's like someone one day decided to call it one name and just went with it. I barely got around to figuring out how to direct taxi drivers back to my apartment the first few days. (That is once I got a cab... you really need to hail one down. None of this waiting in a queue and standing on the curb as cabs pull up to the taxi stand... no no no...you need to get out into the street and hail one down.) Anyways, amateur Hannah would get in a cab and say "Hi-- Abu Dhabi Plaza Hotel Apartments, please." The taxi driver, usually an underpaid, unappreciated, friendly Pakistani who had been working 16 hours straight, would stare back at me annoyed and confused. This will send me in a frantic flurry because of course he had promptly turned on the meter just as soon as my tushy had contact with the seat and there were a crowd of wait-ers just outside who would gladly take my place. "6th and 7th Street?" ... "Najda and Electra?" (Note that the official name for Najda/6th on maps is one street that changes from Um El Nar to Banyas to Sea Palace Rd & Electra/7th is Sheikh Zayed the First Street) ... "Oh, umm...Green House Center?" Finally, a sparkle of recognition in the cab driver's eye as he says, "Ahh, Green House. Yes, Najda." 2 weeks later, pro Hannah confidently steps off the curb, waves down a cab, and simply states, "Green House Center on Najda, please."

But, it's no wonder nobody has ever heard of Abu Dhabi before and the driving is a chaotic mess... there are no rules, directions or addresses. Everything is relative to landmarks or stores, both of which change every couple of months.

So, where exactly am I? My "official address" is as follows:
Abu Dhabi Plaza Hotel Apartments (Rm. #1004)

Najda Street (6th) corner of Electra Street (7th)

(Above Green House Center)
Abu Dhabi, UAE

According to locals, all the DHL drivers and UPS drivers are completely used to this. I have a friend who was staying in the Hilton and when he asked the receptionist which address he should get his official documents to, he matter-of-factly stated,
"Hilton Hotel on Corniche Street (or 1st) near the Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi, UAE." He relayed the address to his sister in the States, who wrote it on the FedEx envelope and lo and behold, the letter was waiting for him the next day.

On an entirely different note, I just watched the sneak peek for GLEE- Gold Digger. SO EXCITED! Any advice on how I'll be able to watch it here?


Love,
Hannah


P.S. Not that I'm implying anything :)... but simple letters/postcards can be easily addressed to:
Hannah Kim (#1004)
P.O. Box 52588

Abu Dhabi, UAE

2 comments:

  1. if your internet is up to par, you might be able to dl it or stream it from surfthechannel.com.

    so do I just write the address exactly like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always taking cabs huh? very baller... haha

    Glad to see that you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete